When the Disdain for Fashion Cuts One Off From the Spirit

I shared an article from Vogue Magazine in one of my alternative spiritual groups on Facebook. The piece was about Gothic fashion and the members widely rejected it. When one of the administrators flat out criticized this fashion as not in fact being Gothic, despite my best efforts to say it is not vintage clothing but rather designer, so while the cuts and fabrics might be different it is still very much Gothic, I decided to remove the post.

It made me realize how closed-minded we are to fashion and trends. I wonder if this is because we are brought up in a society where only a selected few can truly enjoy clothing - the wealthy and the increasingly lowering number of those who fit into single-digit sizes.  But when we look at the geniuses behind these designs we see that they themselves are edgy, stand-offish, outcasts, and had to overcome their fair share of societal pressures.

I was intimidated by high fashion since my early adulthood years. From the outlandish concoctions of the absurd on the runways, to the edgy distressed look that is now trending, I found actual physical reactions of revulsion. I finally made this connection and began to wonder how I could be so affected by garments.

Fashion is intimidating, I realize now the emotional blocks that I have with clothing, and it wasn't until I needed to step my game up at work so that I could connect with clients and be someone who they could trust and want to buy from. I began to see commonalities with the way I have felt about my own appearance for decades. I now recognize the presuppositions that we have with fashion and trends and this paradoxically alienates us from the one thing we need no matter what - clothing! No wonder so many of us are disconnected and discouraged about what we wear.

When we are disconnected from our clothing we can miss out on a lot of opportunities, because we without fault make unconscious decisions based on how we are going to feel about or interact with people based on how they look! For me, it wasn't until several years of deep spiritual work when I realized that it is foolish to judge based on outward appearances, and this is why I can with such confidence today open up to a new world of fashion and objectively chip away at the intoxicating affects it can have on us. Affects that can very easily sabotage us to close otherwise opened doors.

Dark Queen by Zazielona

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leaving the Baggage Out of the Bag

The Energy of Fashion

How to Dress French